If you have the stomach and patience for it (and we probably should muster the stomach and patience, even against our better wishes, in order to know what nonsense is being foisted upon us), you can check it out here. But beware, the "White Paper," released on August 20, is full of some pretty strange stuff. (I'll only be able to view the video when I recover sufficiently from my already taxed stomach and patience! ;-)
Here's "The Wilken Plan" (courtesy of Pr. Weedon):
Hey, sign that guy up for Synodical President! NO! Just kidding! I would never want to vex my long-time friend with such inanities. :-)The Wilken Plan
by Pr. Todd Wilken
- I offer the following, not as proposals or possibilities for consideration and discussion. The following proposals/possibilities are final. Take them or leave them.
- They’re also not in any particular order (I didn’t have a fancy Task Force to help me).
- I call it The Wilken Plan: 100 districts (4 non-geographical).
- All district presidents part-time, elected by their districts to a single 2 year term.
- District conventions every year, staggered with synodical convention, half a day, business only. Every congregation sends a pastor and a layman, each have one vote.
- Synodical Convention every year, 2 days, business only. Every congregation sends a pastor and a layman, each have one vote.
- 1 year terms limits for the entire synodical Presidium, all of them, including the synodical president, part-time.
- All boards and commissions elected by synodical convention to 2 year terms. Directors of all boards and commissions part-time, elected by synodical convention to a single 2 year term, staggered with the election of their board or commission.
- CCM, and every other commission, advisory. Members elected by synodical convention and serve a single 2 year term.
- Eliminate the CTCR, and start using the Seminary faculties in its place, stop wasting time answering settled questions.
- Synodical bureaucracy reduced to only the odd numbered objectives in Article III.
- Synodical budget to be determined by congregational support alone.
- All elected offices, executive directors, etc. paid district scale (prorated of course, since they’re all part time).
- Sell the International Center and other headquarter properties.
- Move synodical headquarters to the basement of Mount Olive Lutheran Church in Woonsocket, South Dakota.
- Since we’re now living in the 21st century, all boards and commissions meet face-to-face only once a year in Woonsocket. All other meetings conducted by teleconference or video conference (of course this will put the Crowne Plaza in St. Louis and perhaps a few resorts in Palm Beach and Arizona out of business, but think of what it will do for the Woonsocket economy!)
- Oh yes, and rename the synod. Choose from: “The Part-Time Synod” or “Your Grandfather’s Church.”