30 August 2008

"Blog of the Week" Honor & What's in This Name

"Blog of the Week" Honor

I was just informed that this blog was selected as one of the Issues, Etc. picks for "Blog of the Week" on 29 August 2008 (See it listed here on this date). Thanks for the honor, Todd! (Even if it was merely for posting words from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a quote that I have appreciated and used for guidance and teaching for many years now. :-)

What's in This Name?

In his comments, Todd said that he would not even try to explain what the name of my blog - "RAsburry's Res" - means. Well, let me help him out by going back to my very first blog post from one year ago. Yes, we're coming up on my first anniversary - 1 September 2007 - of taking the plunge into the blogosphere. Who'd have thunk it! :-) You can find my "historic" (yeah, right!) first post here. Here's the explanation for my blog's title:
A word about the title of this blog is surely in order. "RAsburry" - my first initial and last name - has become my trademark of sorts, especially via email. And since many blogs choose to use Latin to show their purpose and direction, I couldn't resist throwing in just a little Latin. In Latin "res" means "things, matters, affairs." So, putting the two terms together, this blog is about matters that strike my fancy, matters theological and churchly, matters weighty and important, even matters humorous and light-hearted - matters that will hopefully interest others and bear witness to the God of forgiveness, life, and salvation.

The matters that interest me most concern the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, for the life of the world - the life that I have received as a pure gift by God's boundless mercy in the forgiveness of sins, the life that I have vowed to deliver to the people whom God has given me to shepherd. This blessed life from the Holy Triune God comes in the Body of Christ, the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. His life in His Body gives new meaning and purpose for all other matters ("res") in all of life.

1 comment:

Orianna Laun said...

Congratulations on being chosen as blog of the week. I was listening, but I didn't hear Todd's pick as my computer chose the end of Jeff's pick as the time to kick Pirate Radio out. :(
I saw it later on Issues,Etc's website. Way to go!