29 May 2008

What's On Your Church Sign?

Ah, those infamous church signs, trying to be cute, snappy, and relevant, but somehow making many a passerby scratch their heads in befuddlement. For what not to post on your church sign, check out Crummy Church Signs. (Thanks, Pr. Landskroener, for pointing this out ... I think.)

Here's a sample:











Now how many people "like" Alka Seltzer?

(Disclosure: This "Asbury" is of no relation to me. My brand of "Asburry" has, notice, two "Rs" ... and there are no "Rs" in "Methodist.")

And then there's this one:
"Tent Revival with Jack Daniels"

As the caption on Crummy Church Signs says, "Make mine a double." (No, not the revival! :-)

8 comments:

Tim said...

You're welcome. But why drag me into this? 8-)

JBrandt said...

I had to drive by this sign twice just to make sure it was accurate. Unfortunately, I had no camera. The sign for our congregation's Youth House read, "Nothing good in life is free."

I guess displaying Romans 4:25 or Luke 19:10 would be too uplifting and too confusing.

Randy Asburry said...

Oh, Tim, you can't hide forever! :-)

Orianna Laun said...

I am always on the lookout for crummy church signs and post some of the worst on my own blog. I even have a few favorite places I drive past for material. Pastor Asburry, one place is near yours--you know, the ELCA church on Hampton near Chippewa--they've often posted a humdinger!

Randy Asburry said...

Orianna,

Yes, I know of that church's sign all too well, as I drive by there quite a bit myself. "Humdinger" is indeed a good way to describe it at times.

Anonymous said...

Golly, I have to remember to have pen and paper in hand next time I drive by the local Russian Orthodox Church in my neighborhood. Their pastor, an utterly delightful young man changes the pithy sayings on the parish's sign regularly. They are eye-catching but utterly theologically sound in what they proclaim.

Some of the best I've ever seen.

Randy Asburry said...

And when you do write them down, pass them on for us. They could be a welcome respite from the "other kind" of church signs! ;-)

Anonymous said...

And when you do write them down, pass them on for us. They could be a welcome respite from the "other kind" of church signs! ;-)

I will try to remember to do that!

The pastor of this parish has high regard for all liturgical Christians.